Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thai Red Curry

OK, this one's for Bobm512z. It's not particularly healthy because of the high fat content of the coconut milk but I've tried using low fat and it's juat not the same. I also tried it with plain yogurt instead and it was only so-so.

Recipe

398 ml (14 oz) can coconut milk, undisturbed so cream floats to top (not low fat)
2-3 T olive oil
2-3 T red curry paste (I buy Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste)
1 1/2 T fish sauce
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 red or yellow pepper cut in chunks
1-2 carrots cut in fairly thin slices
White part of 2 green onions, sliced (or sliced regular onion if you want)
1 lb shrimp, prawns, halibut, scallops, or chicken in chunks
Salt if needed to taste
1 diced tomato

Put oil and 4 T cream off the top of the coconut milk can in pan. Slowly heat over medium. Add curry paste when hot. Stir till oil separates and is lightly browned. Reduce heat and add fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and 1/2 c. water. Add peppers, carrots, and onions. Cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes. (I actually don’t cover it...) Add rest of coconut milk. Add fish or chicken in single layer. Cook gently till cooked thru.. Ad diced tomato and cook 1-2 minutes. Add diced green onions. Serve over jasmine rice.

You are supposed to garnish with the following but I never do because I can’t find fresh. I had them at a restaurant once though and they were good.

4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, sliced (or lime rind?)
sliced thai basil leaves

Notes: I am fairly casual in the amounts. I just squeeze in some lime juice, toss in a spoonful of sugar etc... I make it spicy to my taste at first, then it ‘cools ‘ down once I add the rest of the coconut milk. You can add more curry later if you need it. I find the heat o fthe curry paste varies from jar to jar so I adjust every time I buy it.

I’ve made it with chicken breast, cut in chunks.

Or a bag of frozen (thawed) prawns.

Or 1lb of halibut.

Or 1/2 lbs scallops and 1/2 lbs halbut or prawns.

All yummy. Jasmine rice is best but any kind of non-flavoured rice will do. I have often used brown rice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you! It sounds great we may get to try it this week.