Sunday, October 19, 2008

Breakfast

So what do I eat for breakfast?

Well it varies from day to day but I try to get some good carbs in the form of whole grains, fruit, yogurt for protein, and a few walnuts or almonds every morning. (They're a super food!)

Here are my two main work day breakfast meals:

Steel Cut Oats with toppings (yogurt, fruit, and/or nuts)

Steel Cut Oats are the best choice - they are more nutrient dense - higher calorie but also higher in protein and fibre than regular oatmeal. I find them more filling and they have a chewy texture.

Bob's Redmill Brand has 140 calories for 1/4 cup. The toppings vary in caloric content.

They do take longer to cook but I have found a simple method that works quite well.

Just before I go to bed, I put 1/4 cup of steel cut oats and 1 cup of fully boiling water into a thermos and close the lid. I leave it on the counter overnight. In the morning, I pour the oatmeal into a bowl and give it a quick zap in the microwave oven to warm it up a bit more. I top it with plain yogurt and fruit. I often sprinkle some chopped walnuts or almonds on top as well. No sugar for me but I'm used to not having it sweet. Bananas work well if you have a sweet tooth.

1/4 steel cut oats (140 calories)
1/2 banana (54 calories)
1/3 cup liberty Plain Organic yogurt (48 calories)
1/3 oz walnuts (56 calories)

Total: 290 calories

Carbs: 46 grams
Fat: 10 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Fibre: 6 grams

******************************
Plain yogurt with fruit and quick cooking oatmeal

I tend to eat this as a snack, as well as a breakfast. I make it when I've forgotten to put steel cut oats in the thermos overnight. I just mix it up in a bowl and eat. The oatmeal softens up in the yogurt quite quickly and doesn't need to be cooked first (at least not for me. :)

3/4 cup plain yogurt (110 calories)
1/4 cup quick cooking oats (75 calories)
1/3 oz walnuts, broken or chopped (56 calories)
1/2 banana cut up (54 calories) (or any other fruit)

Total: 311 calories

Carbs: 38 grams
Fat: 11 grams (6g from the walnuts)
Protein: 15 grams
Fibre: 4 grams

******************************

I also eat an apple every day at about 10am when my students have their snack break.

No comments: