Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Black Bean and Rice Soup Recipe

I can't remember where I got the original recipe which has been adapted to suit my tastes. If I find the source, I will post it here.


1 T olive oil
1 medium chopped onion
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
3-4 stalks diced celery
2-3 diced carrots
1 large can diced tomatoes (790 ml / 28 oz)
3-4 cups cooked black beans (I soak 1 cup overnight then drain. I cook them in a crockpot with fresh water, all day on low before I make the soup. You can also used canned, drained beans.)
1 cup dry brown rice
6-8 cups chicken broth (use veggie if you want)
salt and pepper
1-2 T cumin
1-2 T chili powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
Fresh lime juice

• Saute chopped onion, garlic, diced celery and carrot in a little olive oil (and/or butter).
• Add beans, tomatoes, chicken stock and herbs/spices
• Simmer gently for awhile until rice is cooked. Add more stock as necessary.
• Serve in a bowl with a big squeeze of lime juice.
• You could add cilantro but I don't like it.

1 ½ cups is about 220 calories.
2.5 g fat, 39 g carb, 9 g protein

No comments: